HOW TO PREPARE CANADIAN MAPLE ROAST TURKEY?
Preparation Time: 45 mins / Cook Time: 240 mins / Serving: 4/6
1 x US UNCOOKED TURKEY WHOLEBIRD SELF BASTING (8-10LB | 10-12LB, FROM 3.65KG)
2 cups apple cider
⅓ cup maple syrup
2 tablespoon thyme chopped
2 teaspoon marjoram dried
2 ½ teaspoon lemon zest grated
¾ cup butter
2 cups onions quarter chopped
1cup celery chopped
1cup carrots chopped
2 cups chicken broth
3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1teaspoon thyme chopped
1each bay leaves
1 onion whole
- In a saucepan over medium heat; boil the maple syrup & apple cider until reduced to about ½ of a cup takes about 15 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from the heat & add the lemon zest, ½ of the marjoram and ½ of the thyme.
- Add the butter & stir until melted, taste & add salt & pepper as desired.
- Cover, cool & refrigerate. To save time you can make day before.
- Place the oven rack in the lowest third. Preheat the oven to 375℉ (190℃).
- Remove giblets etc from inside if included. Wash and thoroughly dry the turkey. Place the turkey in a large roasting pan. Stuff the bird as desired with stuffing or a whole onion in the cavity.
- Using your fingers slide under the turkey skin to loosen the skin from the breast meat.
- Rub ½ cup of the prepared apple & maple butter mix under the skin of the breast.
- Rub all over the turkey skin with another ¼ cup of the maple butter mix.
- Arrange the celery, carrot & onion in the roasting pan around the turkey.
- Sprinkle the remaining spices, marjoram & thyme over the vegetables & add 2 cups of the chicken stock to the roasting pan.
- Roast the turkey for 30 minutes uncovered. Reduce the temperature to 350℉ (180℃) F & cover the turkey loosely with aluminum foil.
- Continue to roast until tender, basting regularly with accumulated juices.
- If using a thermometer (highly recommended) roast until the thickest part of the thigh, breast & wing reaches 165 degrees F.
- This will take about 3 to 4 hours for and unstuffed bird or 4 to 5 hours for a stuffed bird. If stuffed check that the internal temperature in the centre of the stuffing reaches 165 degrees F.
- The juices should run clear. Transfer the turkey to a platter & cover with aluminum foil to rest.
- Keep the juice in the pan for making gravy.
- Make the Gravy:
- Pour the pan juices into a measuring cup, allow to settle then spoon and discard the fat that rises to the top.
- Add enough chicken stock to equal 3 cups.
- Transfer the liquid (or better use the roasting pan) to a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium & mix the remaining maple/apple butter mixture with 3 tablespoons of flour to make a paste in a small bowl.
- Whisk this mixture into the broth mixture, add the remaining fresh thyme and a bay leaf.
- Boil stirring constantly until thickened slightly & reduced.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and fresh ground black pepper.
Serve with your choice of potatoes and additional vegetables.