How to prepare Coffee Rubbed Tomahawk Ribeye With Shaved Potato Pie?
Buy Product(s): US Certified (USDA) Premium Black Angus Tomahawk Steak
Preparation Time: 45 mins
Cooking Time: 90 mins
Coffee Rub (Makes 2 ½ cups)
- ½ cup dark roast whole bean coffee, finely ground, such as Community Coffee
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- ½ cup kosher salt
- ½ cup garlic powder
- ½ cup coarsely ground black pepper
Shaved Potato Pie
- 2 large russet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 2 tablespoons grated yellow onion
- ½ cup grated Swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (2-pound) tomahawk-cut bone-in ribeye steaks
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- In a mixing bowl, add coffee, brown sugar, salt, garlic powder, and pepper, and mix well to combine evenly. Cover and move to the side.
Shaved Potato Pie
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Peel the potatoes and discard the peels. Using the peeler, thinly slice the potato in short 1-inch lengths.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the potato slices with horseradish, grated onion, cheese, and cream. Stir to combine and season with salt and pepper.
- In individual ramekins coated with non-stick spray, pack the potato mixture and press down to compact the mixture. Invert the dishes to let any moisture escape.
- Place the ramekins bottom side down on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes until the potatoes are browned and cooked through, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 300ºF.
- Remove the steaks from the refrigerator and salt them liberally with kosher salt. Place on a tray lined with a paper towel and let them rest for 1 hour until they come to room temperature. Remove the paper towels (they should be wet from residual moisture pulled from the steaks during salting), and wipe off any remaining salt from both sides of the steak. Place the steaks on a baking tray and position on the centre rack of the oven.
- Roast uncovered until the internal temperature (use a wire probe thermometer if you have one) reaches 125ºF, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Brush only 1 side of each steak with the oil and liberally coat with the dry rub.
- On a gas grill set to high heat (use the infrared heating element if you have one), place the steaks on the hottest part of the grill. Without turning, watch to see that the rub is set and has formed a crust, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from the grill and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- For serving, move the steaks to a cutting board and cut the meat away from the bone and into thick slices. Serve with the shaved potatoes.
Posted by Aussie Meat and for this fabulous recipe, we thank Acadiana Table for the recipe link https://acadianatable.com/2016/05/09/tomahawk-ribeye/