HOW TO PREPARE JOHN DORY FISH WITH WARM APPLE SALAD!
OCEAN CATCH NEW ZEALAND JOHN DORY FILLET BONELESS AND SKINLESS
Preparation Time: 10 mins / Cook: 10 mins / Serving: 4
For the John Dory
4 X OCEAN CATCH NEW ZEALAND JOHN DORY FILLET BONELESS AND SKINLESS
2 tbsp lemon juice
½ tsp salt
4 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp butter
For the apple salad
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp finely chopped red onions
¼ tsp toasted coriander seeds, crushed
¼ tsp toasted cumin seeds, crushed
1 tsp black sesame seeds
2 medium size apples, cut into wedges
1 tsp lime juice
½ tsp curry powder
2 tbsp mayonnaise
½ tbsp finely chopped mango chutney
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint leaves
For the green spice paste
50g/2oz fresh mint leaves
50g/2oz fresh coriander leaves
50g/2oz baby spinach leaves
10g/½oz ginger, peeled, roughly chopped
2 green chillies, roughly chopped
1½ tsp ground fenugreek seeds
2 tsp chaat masala
1 tsp red chilli powder
½ tsp salt
2 tbsp gram flour (chickpea)
1. For the green spice paste, put all the spice paste ingredients into a food processor & blend to a paste.
2. For the John Dory, marinate the fish in a mixture of the lemon juice & salt for five minutes, to drain any excess moisture.
3. Pat the fish dry & place into the green spice paste & marinate for 40 minutes.
4. Heat a frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the oil, Scrape any excess marinade off the fish, then add to the pan, skin-side down. Fry for one minute then turn the fillet & fry the other side for two minutes or until fish is cooked through. Add the butter to the pan & baste the fish with the juices then remove it from the pan & place on a plate lined with kitchen paper to soak off any excess fat.
5. For the apple salad, heat the olive oil in a small frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onions & fry for 1-2 minutes, to soften. Add the coriander, cumin & sesame seeds & fry for a further minute then add the apple batons, lime juice & curry powder. Cook the apples for one minute then add the chopped mango chutney & the mayonnaise. Remove from the heat & sprinkle over the chopped mint.
6. To serve, place the warm apple salad in the middle of a warmed plate, place the fish on top.