HOW TO PREPARE PORK BELLY WITH BLACK PEPPER CARAMEL?
Preparation Time: 10 mins day before 15 mins on the day
Cooking Time: 120 mins
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp annatto paste (natural red food colouring)
- 1kg boneless pork belly, skin scored
- Thai basil leaves
- BLACK PEPPER CARAMEL
- Juice of 2 limes
- 200ml fish sauce
- 1 long red chilli, sliced
- 2 1/4 cups (500g) caster sugar
- 2 tbs mixed peppercorns
- Combine five spice, oil, annatto paste & 2 tsp salt in bowl, mix & then rub over pork belly skin. Place pork on a wire rack set over a baking tray and refrigerate, uncovered, overnight to dry out the skin.
- Following day, preheat oven to 220°C. Pat pork skin dry with paper towel, then roast for 45 minutes or until skin is starting to crisp. Reduce heat to 160°C and cook for a further 45 minutes or until meat is tender and skin is crisp. Take out and rest.
- Meanwhile, for the black pepper caramel, combine the lime juice, fish sauce, chilli & 2 tbs water in a bowl and set aside. Place the sugar, peppercorns & 2 cups (500ml) water in a saucepan over high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until a deep golden colour. Remove from heat & carefully add fish sauce mixture. Swirl to combine.
- Place pork in an ovenproof ceramic dish & pour over caramel. Return to oven & bake for a further 5-10 minutes until golden & warmed through.
Note: Serve with Rice & top with Thai basil leaves.