HOW TO PREPARE RIOJA-BRAISED LAMB SHANKS WITH CHORIZO!
NZ PREMIUM GRASSFED LAMB HIND SHANKS (3 SHANKS PER PACK, FROM 1.22KG)
Preparation Time: 10 mins / Cook Time: 120 mins / Serving: 3
1 x NZ PREMIUM GRASSFED LAMB HIND SHANKS (3 SHANKS PER PACK, FROM 1.22KG)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
oil, for frying
350ml/12fl oz Rioja or 350ml/12fl oz good-quality beef stock
250ml/9fl oz balsamic vingear
1 garlic bulb, cut in half horizontally
2 bay leaves
1–2 tsp paprika
handful black peppercorns
4 sprigs fresh rosemary
300ml/10fl oz beef stock
1 large red onion, peeled and cut into wedges
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
dash honey, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 150C/300F/Gas 3.
2. Season the lamb well with salt & freshly ground black pepper. Drizzle oil into a heavy-based saucepan pan set over a high heat. Turn down the heat slightly & brown the lamb shanks all over.
3. Pour the wine & balsamic vinegar into a casserole dish & boil for five minutes. Add the lamb shanks, garlic, bay leaves, paprika, peppercorns, half the rosemary & the stock. Cover with a lid & bring to the boil.
4. Once boiling, place the dish into the oven & cook for two hours.
5. Remove the dish from the oven & add the chorizo, onion, carrots, honey to taste, if using, & the remaining rosemary, then return to the oven & cook for another hour, or until the meat is tender & falling off the bone.
6. Remove the meat & vegetables with a slotted spoon & keep warm.
7. Place the casserole dish onto a high heat & boil for 8–10 minutes, or until thickened slightly. Add salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste.
8. Serve the meat & vegetables with creamy mashed potatoes and lashings of the sauce.