AUSTRALIAN PREMIUM OXTAIL (800G)
Preparation Time: 10 mins / Cook Time: 50 mins / Serving: 6
3 x AUSTRALIAN PREMIUM OXTAIL (800G)
2 medium leeks
2 sticks of celery
4 medium carrots
a few sprigs of fresh thyme
a few sprigs of fresh rosemary
4 fresh bay leaves
2 heaped tablespoons plain flour
2 x 400 g tins of plum tomatoes
275 ml porter or red wine
1 litre organic beef stock , optional
1. Preheat the oven to 220ºC/425ºF/gas 7. Place a large roasting tray in the oven to preheat.
2. Carefully remove the hot tray from the oven, then add the oxtail. Season & drizzle over a lug of olive oil, then toss to coat & place in the hot oven for around 20 minutes, or until golden & caramelized.
3. Meanwhile, trim & halve the leeks & celery lengthways, then chop into rough 2cm chunks. Peel & chop the carrots into 2cm pieces, then place into a large ovenproof casserole pan over a medium-low heat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
4. Pick, roughly chop & add the thyme & rosemary leaves, then add the bay & cook for around 20 minutes, or until soft & sweet, stirring frequently.
5. Meanwhile, remove the oxtail from the oven & set aside. Reduce the oven temperature to 170ºC/325ºF/gas 3.
6. Add the cloves & flour to the veg, stirring well to combine, then pour in the tomatoes & porter (or wine, if using). Add the oxtail & any roasting juices, cover with the beef stock or 1 litre of cold water & stir well.
7. Turn the heat up to high & bring to the boil, then pop the lid on & place in the hot oven for around 5 hours, or until the meat falls away from the bone, stirring every hour or so & adding a splash of water to loosen, if needed.
8. Remove the pan from the oven & leave to cool for about 10 minutes. Using rubber gloves, strip the meat from the bones & return to the pan, discarding the bones.
9. Add a good splash of Worcestershire sauce, season to taste & enjoy with creamy mash & seasonal steamed greens.