Buy Product(s): NZ Premium Grassfed Lamb Hind Shanks
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 3 hrs 15 mins
- 4 Lamb Shanks
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion, Chopped
- 3 Carrots, Chopped
- 3 Celery Stalks, Chopped
- 5 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 3 Cups Dry Red Wine
- 1 (28 Ounce) Can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 (4 Ounce) Can Tomato Paste
- 2 (14 Ounce) Cans Beef Broth
- 5 Teaspoons Fresh Chopped Rosemary
- 2 Teaspoons Dried Oregano
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- 1/3 Cup Fresh Parsley Leaves
- 1 Large Garlic Clove, Peeled
- Zest From 1 Lemon
- Heat the oil in a large cast-iron dutch oven over medium heat.
- Salt and pepper the shanks, then brown them on all sides, about 8 minutes.
- Remove the shanks to a plate.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic to the pot, and cook until lightly browned about 10 minutes.
- Pour in the wine, tomatoes, paste, broth, rosemary, and oregano, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the shanks to the pot, and cover with a lid.
- Cook over low heat until tender, about 2 1/2 hours, removing the lid during the last hour.
- Remove the shanks to a plate, cover with foil, and bring the sauce to a rapid boil.
- Cook the sauce until thickened.
- While the sauce is thickening, chop the parsley, garlic, and lemon zest until finely chopped for the topping.
- Return the shanks to the pot to rewarm.
- Serve the shanks with sauce spooned on top, and then top with a spoonful of gremolata.
Posted by Aussie Meat and for this fabulous recipe, we thank Italian Food Forever for the recipe link https://www.italianfoodforever.com/2016/04/lamb-shanks-braised-with-red-wine-rosemary/