Preparation Time: 10 mins day before 15 mins on the day
Cooking Time: 120 mins
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp annatto paste (natural red food colouring)
- 1kg boneless pork belly, skin scored
- Thai basil leaves
- BLACK PEPPER CARAMEL
- Juice of 2 limes
- 200ml fish sauce
- 1 long red chilli, sliced
- 2 1/4 cups (500g) caster sugar
- 2 tbs mixed peppercorns
- Combine five spice, oil, annatto paste & 2 tsp salt in bowl, mix & then rub over pork belly skin. Place pork on a wire rack set over a baking tray and refrigerate, uncovered, overnight to dry out the skin.
- Following day, preheat oven to 220°C. Pat pork skin dry with paper towel, then roast for 45 minutes or until skin is starting to crisp. Reduce heat to 160°C and cook for a further 45 minutes or until meat is tender and skin is crisp. Take out and rest.
- Meanwhile, for the black pepper caramel, combine the lime juice, fish sauce, chilli & 2 tbs water in a bowl and set aside. Place the sugar, peppercorns & 2 cups (500ml) water in a saucepan over high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until a deep golden colour. Remove from heat & carefully add fish sauce mixture. Swirl to combine.
- Place pork in an ovenproof ceramic dish & pour over caramel. Return to oven & bake for a further 5-10 minutes until golden & warmed through.
Note: Serve with Rice & top with Thai basil leaves.
Aussie Meat is thrilled to announce the Referrals & Rewards Program for all our Aussie Meat Lovers. You and your friends and family can enjoy the benefits by simply Refer a friend and receive HKD50 OFF on your next purchase, and your friend will receive HKD100 OFF on their first purchase. The great news is that you can KEEP referring and earning the rewards.