Preparation Time: 15 mins Cooking Time: 4 hrs Serving: 8
- 1 whole pork shoulder (4kg), bone in and scored (see note)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped wild fennel fronds (see note)
- Finely grated rind of 3 lemons
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped rosemary
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1½ tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- 3 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 3 onions, coarsely chopped
- 400 ml light red wine
- Refrigerate scored pork uncovered overnight to dry out skin and remove from the fridge an hour before cooking.
- Preheat oven to 190C. Pound wild fennel, lemon rind, rosemary and garlic with a mortar and pestle to a pulp. Add oil, then rub marinade into the flesh of the pork (not the skin), season and leave covered with a tea towel (45 minutes).
- Scatter celery, carrot and onion in a roasting pan and place pork on top. Rub the skin with 1 tbsp oil and sprinkle liberally with fine sea salt (about 15gm; don’t worry about the amount of salt – helps the crackling form and you brush it off later). Reduce oven to 180C and roast pork for 1 hour, then add a third of the wine to the pan, reduce oven to 165C and continue to roast pork, topping up with wine (and water if needed) so there’s always liquid in the bottom of the pan – this keeps pork juicy and makes a delicious sauce – until meat is very tender and falls off the bone, and skin has crackled well (4kg pork will take about 4 hours in total). Set aside to rest for 30-40 minutes.
- Transfer pork to a carving board – carefully lifting the pork wearing kitchen gloves works best – and brush off excess salt. Strain pan juices into a saucepan and skim off the fat, then taste the sauce – add a little water if it’s too strong, or reduce it further to concentrate the flavours. Serve with pork.
Posted by Aussie Meat and we thank BRIGITTE HAFNER for this recipe link is https://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/recipes/chefs-recipes/roast-shoulder-of-pork-7976
Aussie Meat is thrilled to announce the Referrals & Rewards Program for all our Aussie Meat Lovers. You and your friends and family can enjoy the benefits by simply Refer a friend and receive HKD50 OFF on your next purchase, and your friend will receive HKD100 OFF on their first purchase. The great news is that you can KEEP referring and earning the rewards.