NZ PREMIUM GRASSFED LAMB SHOULDER, ROAST TIED BONELESS (FROM 1.66KG)
Preparation Time: 30 mins / Cook Time: 300 mins / Serving: 6
1 x NZ PREMIUM GRASSFED LAMB SHOULDER, ROAST TIED BONELESS (FROM 1.66KG)
1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
1/4 teaspoon coriander seeds
1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 ounces ancho chiles (about 4) stemmed and seeded
1 tablespoon smoked sweet paprika
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 large garlic cloves, 1 clove mashed to a paste
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Freshly ground pepper
Lettuce leaves and warm naan, for serving
1. In a spice grinder, finely grind the caraway, coriander & cumin seeds. In a microwave-safe bowl, cover the ancho chiles with water & microwave at high power for 2 minutes. Let cool slightly, then transfer the softened chiles & 2 tablespoons of the soaking liquid to a blender. Add the ground spices, paprika, lemon juice, the 2 whole garlic cloves, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil &1 tablespoon of salt. Puree the harissa until smooth.
2. Set the lamb in a medium roasting pan & rub 1/2 cup of the harissa all over the meat; let stand at room temperature for 2 hours or refrigerate overnight.
3. Preheat the oven to 325°/162. Add 1/2 cup of water to the roasting pan & cover the pan loosely with foil. Roast the lamb for 2 1/2 hours, adding water to the pan a few times to prevent scorching. Remove the foil & roast for about 2 1/2 hours longer, until the lamb is very brown and tender; occasionally spoon the pan juices on top. Let stand for 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the yogurt with the cilantro, mashed garlic clove & the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt & pepper.
5. Using forks or tongs, pull the lamb off the bone in large chunks. Using your fingers, pull the meat into smaller shreds & serve with the yogurt sauce, lettuce leaves, naan and the remaining harissa.