Preparation Time: 5 mins Cooking Time: 1 hr 30 mins Serving: 2
- 2 ribeye steaks (1-1/2 inches thick and about 16 ounces each)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 2 tablespoons avocado (grapeseed or canola oil for pan searing)
- 1 cup chimichurri sauce (homemade or storebought)
To Cook The Steaks
- Fill a container with water. Place your immersion cooker in the water and preheat it to the desired temperature of your steak (see chart below).
- Season the steaks with salt, pepper, and garlic powder and place into individual sealable bags with the thyme. (see notes). Seal the bags with either a vacuum sealer or the water displacement method. Try to remove as much air as possible.
- When the water reaches the correct temperature, place the steaks into the water bath and cook 30 minutes for every inch of thickness. See the chart below for temperatures. We cooked our 1-1/2 inch steaks to a medium-rare of 130°F for 1-1/2 hours.
- Remove the steaks from the water bath and open the bags. With paper towels pat the moisture from the steaks. Place them on a platter and brush each side with oil.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet or stainless steel skillet on high heat until smoking hot. Turn on the stove vent to ventilate the smoke.
- With tongs, place the steaks on the hot skillet and sear for 30 to 60 seconds on each side. Don't sear them for too long, the steaks will be completely cooked when they come out of the sous vide bath. This step is only to brown the steaks and get a nice crust.
To Serve The Steaks
- The sous vide steaks do not need resting time.
- Transfer the steaks to a cutting board, slice into portions and serve with chimichurri sauce.
Posted by Aussie Meat and for this fabulous recipe, we thank Yummly for the recipe link https://www.yummly.com/recipe/Sous-Vide-Ribeye-Steak-with-Chimichurri-Sauce-_video_-9167919