EU HORMONE FREE PORK BELLY RIND-ON (1KG)
Preparation Time: 20 mins / Cook Time: 120 mins / Serving: 4
1.5 x EU HORMONE FREE PORK BELLY RIND-ON (1KG)
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
2 tsp sea salt flakes
1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper,
3 medium apples, peeled, quartered, cored and cut into thick slices
2 medium onions, sliced
large handful fresh sage leaves
2 tsp plain flour
200ml/7fl oz cider
1. Preheat the oven to 240C/220C (fan)/Gas 9..
2. Dry the pork belly skin with kitchen paper. Mix the thyme, sea salt & black pepper together in a bowl. Rub this mixture all of the pork & skin, then turn the belly over & rub it on the underside of the pork.
3. Place the pork in a flameproof baking tray & roast for 25-30 minutes, or until the skin is crisp. Reduce the oven to 180C/160C (fan)/Gas 4 & roast for a further hour.
4. Mix the apples with the onions, sage & a little freshly ground black pepper & arrange in the middle of a small roasting tin.
5. Remove the pork from the oven & place it on top of the apples & onions, keeping the apple & onion pieces underneath the meat so they don’t burn. Keep the first roasting tin to one side. Return the pork to the oven & cook for a further hour, or until the meat is really tender.
6. Skim any fat from the cooking juices in the reserved roasting tin & place the tin over a medium heat. Stir in the flour & cook for a minute or so, stirring constantly. Gradually stir in the cider & l00ml/3½fl oz water & bring to a simmer. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly. Strain through a sieve into a small saucepan & season to taste. Set aside.
7. Transfer the pork to a carving board. Spoon the apple & onion into a warmed serving bowl. Reheat the cider gravy until bubbling & cut the pork into thick slices. Serve the pork & crackling with the apple & sage & the hot gravy.