AUSTRALIAN OCEAN CATCH SCALLOPS (20/40 PER 1KG) | NEW
Preparation Time: 20 mins / Cook: 10 mins / Serving: 4
500gms x AUSTRALIAN OCEAN CATCH SCALLOPS (20/40 PER 1KG) | NEW
1 pound sea scallops, thawed if frozen
8 ounces linguine noodles or other long noodles
2 tablespoons neutral oil
1. Thaw the scallops.
2. Cook the pasta: Start a pan of well salted water & bring to boil. Boil the pasta until it is just al dente. Start tasting a few minutes before the package recommends: you want it to be tender but still a little firm on the inside; usually around 7 to 8 minutes. Drain the pasta. (If it finishes before the sauce, add it back to the pot with a drizzle of olive oil so it doesn’t stick.)
3. Brine the scallops (10 minutes): Meanwhile, in a shallow dish, mix together 4 cups room temperature water & 2 tablespoons kosher salt. Place the scallops in the water & wait for 10 minutes.
4. Sear the scallops: Remove the scallops & dry thoroughly. Lightly season with a several pinches kosher salt. Heat the oil in a large pan over high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the scallops & cook without turning for 2 to 3 minutes, until an even brown crust clearly forms on bottom.
5. Flip scallops with tongs. Cook additional 2 to 3 minutes on the other side, until a crust just forms on bottom & the centre of the scallop is almost opaque. Remove the scallops from the pan to a plate & turn off the heat.
6. Make the sauce: Turn on the heat to low. Add the butter & allow it to melt. Add the lemon zest, minced garlic & chopped herbs. Scrape the bottom of the pan with a spatula to release flavour from any browned bits stuck to the pan. Cook 1 minute until fragrant, adjusting the heat so the garlic is just sizzling but so it doesn’t brown.
7. Add the milk, pasta, kosher salt, & greens & return the heat to medium; cook until greens are wilted. Return the scallops to the pan & cook for a few seconds until just warm. Add lots of fresh ground black pepper. Taste & add additional salt if necessary. Serve with drizzle of olive oil & if desired, grated Parmesan cheese.