NZ PREMIUM GRASSFED BEEF TENDERLOIN DICED (350G)
Preparation Time: 25 mins / Cook Time: 120 mins / Serving: 4
3 x NZ PREMIUM GRASSFED BEEF TENDERLOIN DICED (350G)
100g unsmoked streaky bacon, finely chopped
2 carrots, cut into small dice
2 medium onions, cut into small dice
1 small celery stick, cut into small dice
2 garlic cloves, crushed
½ tsp chopped fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
finely grated zest 1 orange
350ml port (half a bottle)
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp plain flour
250ml beef stock, made from a cube
For the spiced beetroot
500ml red wine
200ml red wine vinegar
140g dark muscovado sugar
½ tsp fennel seed, crushed or ground
1 garlic clove, crushed
2.5cm/1in piece fresh root ginger, grated
1 red chilli, deseeded and very finely chopped
500g cooked beetroot
1. Put the beef, bacon, carrots, onions, celery, garlic, thyme, bay leaf & orange zest into a large shallow bowl. Pour in the port, cover with cling film &leave in the fridge to marinate overnight.
2. Meanwhile, for the beetroot, pour the wine into a saucepan, then add the vinegar, sugar, fennel, garlic, ginger & chilli & bring to the boil. Reduce the heat & simmer for 30 minutes. Cut the beetroot into wedges & put in a large bowl. Pour the hot wine mixture over the beetroot. Allow to cool, then cover & leave in the fridge to marinate overnight.
3. Drain the meat & vegetable mixture, reserving the marinating liquid. Separate the meat from the vegetables as best you can & set the vegetables aside. Heat the oil in a large casserole dish or saucepan & fry the beef pieces in batches over a high heat for 3-4 minutes until just browned. Remove with a slotted spoon & set aside.
4. Add the reserved vegetable mixture to the casserole & cook for 3-4 minutes until the onion is softened. Add the flour & cook for 1 minute, stirring continuously. Return the beef to the pan with the reserved marinade & the stock & season well. Bring to simmering point, cover & gently cook for 11⁄2 hours until the beef is tender.
5. Carefully remove all the beef & vegetables from the pan, using a slotted spoon, & set aside. Drain the marinade from the beetroot & add it to the cooking juices in the pan. Bring to the boil & simmer for 5-6 minutes until the sauce has slightly thickened & has a coating consistency. Return the meat & vegetables to the sauce, then stir in the beetroot. Heat through for 2-3 minutes & serve.