Preparation Time: 15 mins Cooking Time: 40 mins Serving: 4
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound lamb shoulder hot pot slices
- 1 white onion, halved and cut into thin slivers
- 1/2 cup tahini (sesame paste)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Hot sauce, lettuce, sliced tomatoes, rice and warmed pita, for serving
- In a large bowl, combine the cumin and oregano with half of the garlic and 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice. Stir in the oil and a generous pinch of salt. Add the lamb and onion and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a blender or mini food processor, combine the tahini with 1/2 cup of water and the remaining garlic and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and puree until smooth. Add the mayonnaise and puree until creamy. Season the white sauce with salt.
- Heat a large griddle or 2 skillets until very hot. Add the lamb and onion and cook over high heat, turning occasionally, until the meat and onion are charred and tender, 6 to 7 minutes. Transfer to plates and serve with the tahini sauce, hot sauce, lettuce, tomatoes, rice and pita.
Posted by Aussie Meat and for this fabulous recipe, we thank Grace Parisi from Food&Wine.com for the recipe, link is https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/lamb-shawarma