WELSH PREMIUM LAMB MINCE (200G)
Preparation Time: 30 mins / Cook Time: 95 mins / Serving: 4
2 x WELSH PREMIUM LAMB MINCE (200G)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 celery stick, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 tbsp plain flour
1 tbsp tomato purée
275ml lamb or vegetable stock
1 bay leaf
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
450g potatoes, chopped into 2cm chunks
50g unsalted butter
pinch of white pepper
green salad or steamed broccoli, to serve
1. Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery & garlic, & sauté for 5 mins over a medium heat.
2. Add the lamb mince to the pan & use a wooden spoon or spatula to break it up. Cook until well browned, stirring regularly, then sprinkle in the flour & mix well. Add the tomato purée, stock, bay leaf, Worcestershire sauce & seasoning to taste. Mix everything together well, cover with a lid & simmer for 30 mins, stirring from time to time.
3. Meanwhile, put the potatoes in a separate pan & cover with hot water. Place over a medium heat & simmer for 20 mins or until tender & cooked through. Drain, then return to the pan & shake over a low heat to steam off excess moisture.
4. Put the milk in a small pan & heat gently over a low heat. Remove the potatoes from the heat & crush with a potato masher until smooth. Add the hot milk, butter & white pepper, & beat until fluffy & well blended.
5. Preheat the oven to gas 5, 190°C, fan 170°C. Remove the bay leaf from the lamb mixture & transfer to a large ovenproof dish. Spoon the mashed potato on top & use a fork to spread it around, sealing in the meat & making a stripy pattern.
6. Bake in the oven for 30 mins until the potato is crisp & golden on top. Serve with a green salad or steamed broccoli, if you like.