Ocean Catch US Black Cod Steak Skin-On
Preparation Time: 2 days 10mins Cooking Time: 20 mins Serving: 4
- 4 black cod fillets (sablefish, gindara)
- 2 tsp. salt (kosher or sea salt; use half if using table salt)
- 2 Tbsp. sake
- 6 Tbsp. miso (saikyo miso or white miso)
- 3 Tbsp. mirin (if you use white miso, use 4 Tbsp instead)
- 3 Tbsp. sake
- Gather all the ingredients. Make sure to get fresh fish for this recipe.
2 to 3 Days Beforehand
- Sprinkle salt over the fish and set aside for 30 minutes. Salt will draw excess moisture and any fishy smell from the fish.
- Put 6 Tbsp. miso, 3 Tbsp. mirin, and 3 Tbsp. sake for the Miso Marinade in a bowl.
- Mix all together and pour the marinade into a flat bottom airtight container.
- Pour 2 Tbsp. sake over the fish to rinse off the salt. Gently pat dry with a paper towel to remove the moisture. Do not wash the fish underwater.
- Place the fish in the container and coat both sides with the marinade.
- Slather the fillets with the marinade. Cover the lid and keep in the fridge for 2-3 days. You can freeze up to 2-3 weeks.
To Cook the Fish
- Preheat oven to 400 ºF (200 ºC). With your fingers, remove the marinade off the fish completely.
- Place the fish skin side up on baking pan lined with parchment paper or silicone baking sheet.
- Bake the fish until the edges are browned and the flesh is cooked through about 20-25 minutes. Do not flip the fish while baking as the flesh is very flaky.
- Carefully remove the fish with a spatula, and remove any burnt miso around the fish. Serve immediately. I serve the fish with thinly sliced red radish and a small green leaf from my backyard for additional colour.
Posted by Aussie Meat and for this fabulous recipe, we thank Nami for the recipe link is https://www.justonecookbook.com/black-cod-with-miso/