Buy Product(s): Spanish Hormone Free Spring Whole Chicken
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 1 hr 10 mins
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary leaves, crushed
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Whole Chicken
- 3 slices bacon, cut crosswise into ½-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, halved, sliced
- 2 fennel bulbs, trimmed, sliced (reserve some of the feathery fronds)
- 1/2 cup amber beer or low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Heat oven to 425°F. Mix fennel seed, salt, oregano, rosemary, garlic, and oil together with a fork in a small bowl. Tie chicken legs with kitchen twine and tuck wings underbody. Rub herb mixture all over the chicken.
- In a large heavy roasting pan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon, leaving fat in the pan. Set bacon pieces aside.
- Add onion and fennel to bacon fat in pan; cook and stir over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Pour in beer and broth. Arrange chicken on top of vegetables and place the pan in the oven.
- Roast chicken about 1 hour or until juices run clear and internal temperature in thigh reaches 165°F on an instant-read thermometer. Serve chicken with vegetables and pan juices, sprinkled with crisp bacon pieces and fennel fronds.
Posted by Aussie Meat and for this fabulous recipe, we thank Gold n Plump for the recipe link is https://www.goldnplump.com/recipes/country-italian-roast-chicken