Preparation Time: 10mins
Cooking Time: 25 mins
1. 2 kg mixed fresh fish fillets and shellfish, such as red mullet, small sole, gurnard, monkfish, sea bass, cuttlefish, baby octopus, prawns, mussels, squid or scallops
2. 8 tbsp. olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
3. 1large onion, finely sliced
4. 2garlic cloves, finely chopped, plus an extra clove for rubbing
5. 1 kg ripe tomatoes, skinned and chopped, or 2 x 400 g tins of chopped tomatoes
6. 125 ml red wine
7. a little chopped fresh chilli
8. 3 tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
9. ½ tsp fennel seeds
10. Salt and freshly ground black pepper
11. 6–8 slices good bread, slightly stale or toasted
Cut fish fillets into large chunks and seafood into manageable pieces.
Put the oil, onion and garlic into a large pan and fry briefly. Add the tomatoes, wine, chilli, parsley and fennel seeds and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 15 minutes.
Start to add large pieces of fish to the sauce first and those that will take the longest to cook, such as monkfish, then add the more tender fish such as red mullet or sole and the shellfish, ending up with the mussels if using. Cook for 5 or so minutes, or until the fish is cooked and the mussels have opened. Rub the bread with garlic, drizzle with olive oil, and put each slice in the bottom of a deep soup bowl. Pour over the soup. Buonappetito.
Posted by Aussie Meat and for this fabulous recipe, we thank SBS Food for the recipe link is https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/fish-stew-cacciucco