How to prepare Beef Shin Rendang?
Buy Product(s): US Certified (USDA) Premium Angus Ribeye Steak
Preparation Time: 30 mins
Cooking Time: 3 hrs 30 mins
- Beef shin 2kg, cut into chunks
- Vegetable oil
- Coconut milk 2x400g tins
- Star anise 4
- Cinnamon 2 sticks, broken in half
- Dried red chillies 6-8 large
- Shallots 250g, peeled and broken in half
- Fresh galangal 200g, roughly chopped (use paste or purée if you can't get this)
- Ginger 200g, peeled and roughly chopped
- Garlic 1 large bulb, (about 12-15 cloves) cloves separated and peeled
- Lemongrass 10 stalks, tough outer leaves discarded, the rest finely chopped
- Shallots 5 large, cut into 3-4mm rings
- Milk 100ml
- Plain flour 5 tbsp., well-seasoned
- Jasmine rice steamed
- Red chilli finely sliced
- Coriander leaves
- Pour boiling water over the dried chillies, and leave to soak for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the seeds, roughly chop, and add to a blender with the remaining paste ingredients and a splash of water. Blend well until smooth.
- Season the beef shin well with salt and pepper, and heat 1 tbsp. oil in a large casserole. Sear the meat until really brown on all sides. Do this in batches if you need to, and transfer to a bowl while you cook the rest.
- Add another tbsp. oil to the pan and fry the rendang paste on low heat, until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add the coconut milk, star anise and cinnamon and bring to a simmer.
- Scrape any bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pan. Add the beef shin back to the pan and top up with water to cover the meat. Add the lid, simmer for 2½-3 hours or until the meat is really tender.
- To make the crispy onions
- Meanwhile, to make the crispy onions, separate the shallot rings into individual circles. Soak in the milk for 10 minutes, then drain, and toss in the seasoned flour.
- Heat 2cm oil in a shallow pan or frying pan, until hot but not smoking. Shake off the excess flour, and then lower the onions into the oil with tongs. Fry for 1-2 minutes until golden brown and crisp.
- Drain on kitchen paper and allow to cool.
- Serve the rendang in bowls with steamed rice. Scatter over the crispy onions, red chilli and coriander to serve.
Posted by Aussie Meat and for this fabulous recipe, we thank Olive for the recipe link is https://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/entertain/beef-shin-rendang/