How to prepare Beef Sukiyaki Hot Pot (Nabe)?
Buy Product(s): HOT POT | NZ PREMIUM GRASS-FED STRIPLOIN HOT POT SLICES (1LB, 454G)
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 15 mins
- 1 Tablespoon Beef Fat Trimmings , or vegetable oil if you prefer
- 1 lb. Beef Tri Tip, Strip Loin, or Rib Eye , sliced 1/8" thick
- 1/2 cup quartered Shallots, sliced sweet onions, or pearl onions
- 8 Napa Cabbage leaves , sliced *see note 2 below
- 4 Green Onions or 1 Negi (Japanese Leek) , sliced on angle in 2" pieces
- 12 ounces fresh Mushrooms , one or more of Shiitake, Enoki, Brown Mushrooms, Oyster, etc...)
- 6 ounces (about 1/2 package) Broiled Tofu , cut into 1/2" sticks
- 7 ounces Ito Konnyaku noodles, shirataki, yam, or cellophane noodles , cooked if needed, drained & rinsed
- 1 1/4 cups Sake
- 1 cup Dashi , or water
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Soy Sauce , or to taste
- 2 cups Shungiku (a type of chrysanthemum leaf), Spinach, or Arugula
Shime - stuff to eat with the sukiyaki and to finish off the broth
- cooked short grain rice
- optional- 1 egg for each person , beaten
- In a 4 1/2 - 5 qt pot (preferably an enamaled cast iron, but use what you've got) warm pan over medium heat and add fat trimmings. Render fat (if using) for a minute or so, then add beef slices. Try to lay in the slices in a singular layer. Brown each side.
- Gather the meat to one side of the pan. Arrange shallots or onion, cabbage, green onions, mushrooms, tofu, and noodles into neat clusters in the pan. Add sake, dashi or water, sugar and soy sauce then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add Shungiko, spinach, or arugula leaves on top of everything, then cook for 1 minute more. Serve in the pot you cooked it in. One optional way to enjoy this nabe, is to crack and beat an egg in a bowl for each person. As they eat, they can dip each cooked ingredient into the egg, then consume. Eat through all the goodies in the pan, then add the remaining broth into bowls with rice to finish off all of the delicious broth.
Posted by Aussie Meat and for this fabulous recipe, we thank White On Rice Couple for the recipe link is https://whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/beef-sukiyaki-hot-pot-recipe/