How to prepare Braised Short Ribs in the Oven?
Buy Product(s): US Certified (USDA) Premium Black Angus Short Rib Cubes
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 2 hrs 45 mins
- 3 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or high smoking point oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups liquid, such as beer, wine, or low-sodium broth
- 2 to 4 sprigs fresh herbs, such as rosemary or thyme
- Arrange a rack in the lower third of the oven, remove the racks above it, and heat to 325°F. Brush each short rib with the oil, then sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat a deep, wide Dutch oven or sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the short ribs in one layer, leaving room between each and working in batches if necessary. Now would be a good moment to turn on your hood vent or fan, if you have one! Sear the short ribs without moving for several minutes on each side, letting them brown deeply. Use tongs to turn and sear all sides. This will take about 15 minutes in total.
- Turn the heat down to medium and add the onion and garlic around the browned short ribs. Let the onions cook until they soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the liquid — beer, wine, or broth — and bring to a simmer.
- After the liquid comes to a simmer, add the herb sprigs. Cover and place in the oven. (Alternately, this is the point where you can transfer to the slow cooker for 8 hours on the LOW setting, or continue cooking on very low heat on the stovetop.) Braise in the oven until the meat is very tender and pulling away from the bone, 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- When the meat is done, rest in a covered pan for 20 minutes before serving. Serve by gently tugging the chunks of meat away from the bone and spooning the saucy onions over top.
Posted by Aussie Meat and for this fabulous recipe, we thank The Kitchn for the recipe link https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-braised-short-ribs-105868