How to prepare Eastern Lamb Stew?
Buy Product(s): NZ Premium Grassfed Lamb Hind Shanks
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 60 mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, butter or ghee
- 1 ½ –1 ¾ pounds lamb stew meat ( shoulder) cut onto 1 ½ inch cubes
- 1 onion, diced
- 4–6 garlic cloves, rough chopped
- 1 teaspoon of each: salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, turmeric, cinnamon, and cumin seeds ( seeds are optional, add another teaspoon ground cumin if no seeds)
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes ( Aleppo Chili flakes are nice) and more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons honey or brown sugar
- 1/4 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 x 15 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup raisins or dried apricots (chopped), or even dried currants
- Turn the Instant Pot on and set it to the Sauté function. Heat the butter or oil and saute the onions for 3-4 minutes until fragrant. Add the lamb, garlic, salt and all the spices and saute for 5 more minutes until fragrant. Add the vinegar, tomato paste, honey, stock, chickpeas and raisins and stir until combined.
- Cover and set the Instant Pot (or pressure cooker) to pressure cook setting for 50 minutes on normal/high. Naturally, release.
- Let the pressure release and give a stir. The lamb will be tender and break apart easily. If you prefer it less juicy, return to saute function and cook off some of the liquid. ( Note that it will thicken a bit as it sits)
- Serve over quinoa, rice or couscous with some fresh cilantro or parsley.
- The leftovers taste even better the next day as the flavours have more time to meld.
Posted by Aussie Meat and for this fabulous recipe, we thank Feasting at Home for the recipe link is https://www.feastingathome.com/instant-pot-middle-eastern-lamb-stew/