HOW TO PREPARE GARLIC BRAISED SHORT RIB WITH RED WINE!
US CERTIFIED (USDA) PREMIUM BLACK ANGUS SHORT RIB CUBES (MS 2+, 800G)
Preparation Time: 15 mins / Cook Time: 3.5/4 hours / Serving: 4
2 x US CERTIFIED (USDA) PREMIUM BLACK ANGUS SHORT RIB CUBES (MS 2+, 800G)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
2 large heads garlic, halved crosswise
1 medium onion chopped
4 ribs celery chopped
2 medium carrots chopped
3 tablespoons tomato paste
dry red wine (about half a bottle)
2 cups beef stock
4 sprigs thyme
1 cup parsley, coarsely chopped
½ cup finely chopped chives
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
1. Heat oven to 275 degrees. Heat oil in a large Dutch pan over medium-high heat. Season short ribs on all sides with salt & pepper. Working in batches, sear short ribs on all sides until deeply & evenly browned, 6 to 8 minutes per batch. Transfer browned short ribs to a large plate & continue with remaining ribs.
2. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of remaining fat, leaving the good browned bits behind. Reduce heat to medium, & add garlic, cut side down & cook, undisturbed, until golden brown, & 1 to 2 minutes. Add onion, celery & carrots & season with salt & pepper. Toss to coat & continue to cook until vegetables are softened but not yet browned, about 5 to 10 minutes. Add tomato paste & stir to coat. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until tomato paste has started to caramelize a bit on the bottom and up the edges of the pot, about 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Add red wine &, using a wooden spoon, scrape up any browned or caramelized bits. Let this simmer 2 to 3 minutes, just to take the edge off & reduce a bit. Stir in beef stock along with thyme. Using tongs, return short ribs to the pot, along with any juices that have accumulated, nestling them in there so that they are submerged. Bring to a simmer, then cover and transfer to oven.
4. Cook, undisturbed, until short ribs are meltingly tender & falling off the bone (you should be able to shred the meat with a fork), 3½ to 4 hours.
5. Using tongs, remove the ribs from the pot, taking care not to let the bone slip out & transfer them to a large plate. (Feel free to strain the sauce for easier eating and sauce making.) Scatter parsley, chives and lemon zest over the top of the short ribs. Separate the fat from the sauce, season with salt & pepper & serve alongside.