How to prepare Grilled Sweet-and-Sour Scallops?
Preparation time : 10 mins
Cooking time : 6 mins
Serving : 6
- 1/4 cup rice wine
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 pounds sea scallops, drained
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
- Hot cooked rice
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Garnish: green onion strips
- Stir together rice wine and grated fresh ginger.
- Place scallops in a shallow dish or heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag. Add wine mixture; cover or seal, and chill for 30 minutes, turning once.
- Soak 6 (12-inch) wooden skewers in warm water for 30 minutes. Drain.
- Bring 1/4 cup brown sugar, ketchup, chicken broth, rice vinegar, soy sauce, cornstarch, sesame oil, minced garlic, and, if desired, red pepper to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute; remove from heat, and set aside.
- Remove scallops from marinade, discarding marinade. Thread scallops 1/2 inch apart onto skewers.
- Grill, covered with grill lid, over medium heat (300° to 350°) 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- Brush scallops with brown sugar sauce, and serve immediately with remaining sauce. Serve scallops over hot cooked rice with chopped fresh parsley. Garnish, if desired.