How to prepare Hainanese Chicken?
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 60 mins
- 1 whole spring chicken
- 2 teaspoons of salt for cleaning chicken
- 2 tablespoons of sesame oil
- 5 inches ginger peeled & sliced
- 4 cloves of smashed garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon of white pepper
- 3 stalks of green onion cut into small sections
- Boil pot of water. At the same time, rub the chicken with salt to clean it. Nicely wash the chicken (inside & outside).
- Pre-boiling - put the chicken in when boiling, make sure the water goes inside the chicken, so that the blood will come out. Boil for about 5-6 minutes, take the chicken out and discard all the scum and water.
- Refill the pot with water that is about to cover the whole chicken. Add in garlic, ginger & green onion. Once it is boiled, turn to lowest heat.
- Cover with lid and cook for 20-25 minutes in lowest heat.
- Transfer the chicken from pot to a bowl of ice water to cool down. This cooling process will keep the chicken meat soft & tender.
- Dry with paper towels and rub over the chicken with sesame oil.
- Ready to serve