HOW TO PREPARE MEAT BALLS IN TOMATO SAUCE!
NZ PREMIUM GRASS FED SUPER LEAN BEEF MINCE (~85% VL, 500G)
Preparation Time: 30 mins / Cook Time: 10/30 mins / Serving: 4/6
2 X 500g NZ PREMIUM GRASS FED SUPER LEAN BEEF MINCE (~85% VL, 500G)
2 tbsp olive oil
150g/5oz onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tbsp freshly chopped herbs, such as marjoram, or 1 tbsp rosemary
1 free-range egg, beaten
3 tbsp olive oil
salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the tomato sauce
3 tbsp olive oil
110g/4oz onion, sliced
1 garlic clove, crushed
150g/5¼oz mozzarella, grated
1 tsp caster sugar
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
1. Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy stainless steel saucepan over a gentle heat & add the onion & garlic. Cover & sweat for four minutes, until soft and a little golden. Allow to cool.
2. In a bowl, mix the minced beef with the cold sweated onion and garlic. Add the herbs & the beaten egg. Season the mixture with salt & pepper.
3. Fry a tiny bit to check the seasoning & adjust if necessary. Divide the mixture into approximately 24 round balls. Cover the meatballs & refrigerate until required.
4. Meanwhile, make the tomato sauce. Heat the oil in a stainless steel saucepan.
5. Add the sliced onion & the crushed garlic, toss until coated, cover, & sweat on a gentle heat until soft & pale golden.
6. Add the tinned chopped tomatoes to the onion mixture.
7. Season the contents with sugar, salt & freshly ground pepper.
8. Cook the tomatoes until soften.
9. Heat a frying pan & cook the meatballs for about 10 minutes in about three tablespoons of olive oil.
10. When they are cooked, put them into an ovenproof dish with the tomato sauce & top with the grated mozzarella. Place under a preheated grill until the cheese has melted.
11. Serve with spaghetti