HOW TO PREPARE ONE POT CHICKEN DRUMSTICKS WITH MIXED BEANS & RICE
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 30/35 mins
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 2 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon or cumin
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric, curry powder, or ground coriander
- 1/2 cup white rice (any type except for sticky rice)
- 1 (15-oz.) can Mixed Beans (chickpeas, white beans, black beans), drained, rinsed
- 1/2 cup dried fruit, such as currants, raisins, cherries, or cranberries (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped tender herbs, such as cilantro, parsley, mint, basil, and/or dill
- Season drumsticks on all sides with 2 tsp. salt and 1 tsp plus black pepper.
- Heat oil in a large deep-sided pan over medium-high. Add chicken & cook, turning to ensure cooked through, until skin is golden brown, about 10/15 minutes total. Transfer to a plate.
- Add onion, cinnamon, & turmeric to fat in pan & cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add rice & stir to coat. Add 1 1/4 cups hot water, scraping up the bits in the pan, then stir in mixed beans, dried fruit (if using), red pepper (if using), and remaining 1/2 tsp. salt. Put chicken back into skillet & bring liquid to a boil. Immediately reduce heat to low, cover, & cook until rice is tender and chicken is cooked through, 20–25 minutes.
- Remove from heat & let sit 5 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork, then scatter herbs over.