Preparation Time: 15 mins / Cook Time: 6 Hrs / Serving: 4/6
1 x EU HORMONE FREE PORK COLLAR (SHOULDER) RINDLESS ROAST (2KG) | 5% OFF
½ cup apple cider or apple juice
1 cup favorite barbecue sauce, divided
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 medium red onion, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices, divided
4 cups shredded green cabbage (about ¼ of a large cabbage)
1 large apple, peeled and coarsely grated
1 carrot, peeled and coarsely grated
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
Black pepper to taste
4 to 5 soft sandwich buns (whole grain if you can find them!)
- Pour the apple cider & ½ cup of the barbecue sauce into the slow cooker & stir until combined. Add the garlic, half of the onion, & the pork to the slow cooker. Turn the slow cooker to low & cook until the meat is very tender & can easily be shredded with a fork, about 6 hours.
- Measure out ¼ cup of the cooking liquid & set aside. Transfer the pork & onions to a medium bowl until it is cool enough to handle.
- While the meat cools, make the slaw. Mix together the cabbage, apple, carrot, & remaining onion in a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the apple cider vinegar & sugar, stirring until the sugar is largely dissolved. Pour the vinegar over the cabbage, add a couple of turns from your pepper grinder, & toss well.
- Once the meat has cooled a bit, pull it apart with your hands until the whole tenderloin is shredded. Put the meat & onions in a medium bowl & add the remaining ½ cup of barbecue sauce & the ¼ cup of reserved cooking liquid. Stir until the meat is evenly coated with the sauce.
- Divide the meat over the bottom halves of the sandwich buns. Pile a generous portion of slaw on top of the meat & cover with remaining bun. Serve any extra slaw on the side.