How to prepare Roast Leg Of Lamb?
Buy Product(s): NZ Premium Grassfed Bone In Lamb Leg Roast
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 1 hr 20 mins
- 5kg - 5.5lb leg of lamb (with bone)
- 3 sprigs of rosemary
- 4 Garlic cloves
- 12 anchovies
- 3 onions
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 tbsp. Black currant jelly
- 30g - 1oz butter
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Pour a little olive oil over the meat and rub using hands to cover all over. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place a roasting pan on high heat with a little olive oil. Add the meat and sear it all around, you may need to hold in place for a minute or so.
- Break up the rosemary into 12 pieces approx. 2cm – 1 inch long.
- Peel garlic cloves and cut each clove lengthwise into four pieces.
- Pierce 12 holes into the meat and insert in each hole using your fingers, one anchovy, one piece of garlic and one piece of rosemary. Insert quite deeply.
- Peel and slice the onions and add them to the same roasting pan with 3 cups of water.
- Position the roasting rack into the pan and place the lamb on the rack.
- Roast in a convection oven for 80 min at 300°F – 150°C. Approx 16 minutes per 500g or per pound. Use a meat thermometer for better accuracy.
- Once cooked, remove rack and leave to rest 30 minutes covered in foil and a few kitchen towels.
- Put back the same roasting pan with onions on high heat and add the white wine, beef stock and black currant jelly. Leave to simmer.
- In a pot, melt the butter and once melted add the flour, continue cooking until a light nutty brown colour. Add contents to roasting pan to thicken the gravy. Taste and finish seasoning with salt and pepper. Pass through a fine strainer and serve.
- Once the lamb has rested, carve thin slices and serve immediately.
Posted by Aussie Meat and for this fabulous recipe, we thank Recipe 30 for the recipe link is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ObrCrHGsxA&feature=youtu.be