How to prepare Roast Turkey?
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 4 hrs
- 10 - 14 lb. turkey* (fresh or frozen and fully thawed)
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into quarters
- 8 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/2 bunch Chopped fresh parsley
- Let turkey rest at room temperature for 1 hour. Transfer oven rack 1 level below centre and preheat oven to 350 degrees near the end of resting.
- Remove neck and giblets from turkey and remove any pin feathers left behind. Pat outside of turkey well dry with paper towels and dry inside as well. Tuck wings under turkey. Season cavity well with salt and pepper.
- In a mixing bowl stir together butter, lemon zest, thyme and rosemary. Using the back end of a wooden spoon and starting at the back end of the turkey, carefully separate the skin from the breast leaving skin intact between breasts, front area and sides. Be careful not to tear skin or butter will melt out as it bakes.
- Transfer turkey to a large roasting pan with a roasting rack (if you are looking to buy one I have this one - affiliate link).
- Using the end of the spoon again stuff and spread about 1/3 of the butter total into each portion and rub hands over turkey skin to smooth around.
- Rub remaining 2/3 of the butter all over the turkey, except underside. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Stuff onion, garlic and parsley into the cavity of the turkey. Tie legs together with kitchen twine if you want a better presentation.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the thickest portion of the thigh (without touching bone) registers 165 degrees on a probe thermometer or instant-read thermometer, about 2 hours 20 minutes to 3 hours 30 minutes, while tenting top of turkey with aluminium foil during baking as needed to prevent excessive browning.
- Let turkey rest 30 minutes (or up to 60 minutes) then carves.
Posted by Aussie Meat and for this fabulous recipe, we thank Cooking Classy for the recipe link https://www.cookingclassy.com/roast-turkey-recipe/