How to prepare Steak in Apple Sauce (Yakiniku Sauce)?
Preparation Time: 5 mins
Cooking Time: 10 mins
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 8 fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems tips removed
- 2 x 250 g wagyu sirloin steaks
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. mirin
- 2 tbsp. sake
- Small pinch of bonito flakes
- 1 x 1 cm piece of ginger, finely grated to release its juices
- ½ apple, finely grated to release its juices
- Salt and pepper
- ½ bunch spring onions, finely chopped
- Heat a barbecue over high heat or alternatively heat a grill pan on a stovetop over a high.
- For the marinade, place the soy, mirin, sake and bonito flakes into a small pot. Simmer for 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the ginger and apple. Steep for while you cook the steaks.
- Drizzle the steak with oil and season with a very small pinch salt and pepper. Do the same for the mushrooms. Grill the meat on each side for 3-4 minutes for medium-rare, or cook to your liking. I like to turn my meat 4 times throughout this cooking process for an even pink colour throughout the meat. While you're grilling the steaks, grill the mushrooms for 1 minute on each side to impart a smoky flavour but don't entirely cook them through.
- Place the cooked steak and mushrooms directly into the marinade and rest for 3 minutes on each.
- Slice the steak against the grain. Arrange mushroom on platter and top with the steak, and a drizzle of the marinaded. Garnish with spring onion.
Posted by Aussie Meat and for this fabulous recipe, we thank SBS Food for the recipe link is https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/steak-apple-sauce-yakiniku-sauce