HOW TO PREPARE TEMPURA HOKI & BROCCOLI IN BLACK BEAN SAUCE!
OCEAN CATCH NEW ZEALAND HOKI BONELESS AND SKINLESS FILLETS (4 PIECES/PACK, 440G)
Preparation Time: 20 mins / Cook Time: 10 mins / Serving: 4
2 x OCEAN CATCH NEW ZEALAND HOKI BONELESS AND SKINLESS FILLETS (4 PIECES/PACK, 440G)
1/4 cup flour
1/3 cup cornstarch
4 tbsp water
1 tsp salt
oil for deep frying
salt & black pepper
Black Bean Sauce
4 pcs dried shiitake, rehydrated over 1 cup of boiling water, sliced
2 tbsp salted black beans
2 tbsp black bean sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 cup cornstarch
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 thumb sized ginger, minced
1 shallot, minced
fish sauce or sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 head broccoli, cut into florets
1. In a pot boil around 6 cups of water, once boiling add broccoli then cook for 2 minutes. Drain then rinse in running tap water.
2. In a deep bowl combine together 1/4 cup flour, 1/3 cup corn flour, 2 eggs, 4 tbsp water & 1 tsp salt, mix thoroughly until free of lumps, texture should be sticky but still runny.
3. Add fish & coat evenly, set aside & place in fridge covered for at least 1 hour.
4. Prepare a wok & add oil for frying fish pieces. Deep fry fish in medium-high heat of for 3 minutes that should be enough to cook the fish & retain the tenderness. Drain then set aside on a serving plate.
5. In a separate wok add oil used from frying the fish then sauté garlic, shallot and ginger.
6. Drain shiitake, reserve the liquid, add drained shiitake into the wok then stir fry for a minute.
7. Add reserved liquid, black bean sauce, soy sauce, sugar & black beans bring to a boil, simmer for 5 minutes until the sauce becomes thick. If the sauce is thin you can add a bit of cornstarch slurry to thicken it.
8. Add the broccoli then toss for a few seconds just enough to coat the vegetables.
9. Flavour with fish sauce & season with freshly ground black pepper.
Pour sauce & broccoli over tempura fish then serve.