Preparation Time: 30mins Cooking Time: 20 mins Serving: 4
- 500g (1 lb.) beef eye fillet or tenderloin, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. fish sauce
- 3 spring onions (scallions)
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. cornflour (cornstarch) mixed with 1 tbsp. water
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 lime wedge
- Watercress to serve
- Steamed rice to serve
- 2 tbsp. oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp. white vinegar
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 tsp. dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- Combine the beef with the garlic, fish sauce and a small pinch of salt.
- For the stir-fry sauce, mix ingredients in a small bowl.
- For the pepper salt, mix the ingredients in a small bowl and set aside for later.
- Finely slice the pale part of the spring onion and set aside along with the sliced red onion. Slice the green part of the spring onion into batons and reserve for later.
- Scatter watercress over a large plate.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan over high heat. Add the beef mixture and spread the beef pieces out in the pan. Allow to brown for 1-2 minutes before flipping and stir-frying. Add the red onion and the pale part of the spring onion and stir-fry for another minute. Then pour over the stir-fry sauce and mix through. Add the cornflour mixture and simmer for barely a minute or until the sauce is thick and glossy. Toss through the green part of the spring onion. Spoon out on top of the watercress. Serve with a little dish of the pepper salt and a lime wedge to squeeze into the salt before dipping the beef into it. Serve with steamed rice.
Posted by Aussie Meat and for this fabulous recipe, we thank Marion Grasby for the recipe, link is https://youtu.be/5EKCav05vS8