HOW TO PREPARE YOUR FAVOURITE COTTAGE PIE!
NZ PREMIUM GRASS FED SUPER LEAN BEEF MINCE (~85% VL, 500G)
Preparation Time: 35 mins / Cook Time: 80 mins / Serving: 4/6
2 X 500g NZ PREMIUM GRASS FED SUPER LEAN BEEF MINCE (~85% VL, 500G)
3 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, finely chopped
3 carrots, chopped
3 celery sticks, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 tbsp plain flour
1 tbsp tomato purée
large glass red wine (optional)
850ml beef stock
4 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
For the mash
1.8kg potatoes, chopped
200g strong cheddar, grated
freshly grated nutmeg
1. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan & fry 1kg beef mince until browned.
2. Put the other 2 tbsp olive oil into the pan, add 2 finely chopped onions, 3 chopped carrots & 3 chopped celery sticks (Option use Frozen Mixed Vegetables) & cook on a gentle heat until soft, about 20 mins.
3. Add 2 finely chopped garlic cloves, 3 tbsp plain flour and 1 tbsp tomato purée, increase the heat & cook for a few mins, then return the beef to the pan.
4. Pour over a large glass of red wine, if using, & boil to reduce it slightly before adding the 850ml beef stock, 4 tbsp Worcestershire sauce.
5. Bring to a simmer & cook, uncovered, for 45 mins. By this time the gravy should be thick & coating the meat. Check after about 30 mins.
6. Meanwhile, make the mash. In a large saucepan, cover the 1.8kg potatoes which you've peeled & chopped, in salted cold water, bring to the boil and simmer until tender.
7. Drain well, then allow to steam-dry for a few mins. Mash well with the 225ml milk, 25g butter, & three-quarters of the 200g strong cheddar cheese, then season with freshly grated nutmeg & some salt & pepper.
8. Spoon the meat into 2 ovenproof dishes. Pipe or spoon on the mash to cover. Sprinkle on the remaining cheese.
9. To cook heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7 and cook for 25-30 mins, or until the topping is golden.