Buy Product(s): US UNCOOKED TURKEY WHOLEBIRD SELF BASTING
Preparation Time: 30 mins
Cooking Time: 3 Hours 40 mins
- 1 sprig of fresh sage
- 12 strips higher-welfare pancetta or thinly sliced streaky bacon
- 1 bulb garlic
- 4 medium red onions
- 2 sticks celery
- 1 big handful of breadcrumbs
- 1 handful of dried apricots
- 300 g higher-welfare minced pork
- 1 lemon
- 1 pinch of grated nutmeg
- 1 large free-range egg
- 12 small sprigs of fresh rosemary , plus a few extra
- 4-4.5 kg higher-welfare turkey , at room temperature
- 2 carrots
- 1 large orange
- olive oil
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1.1 litres organic chicken or vegetable stock
- Preheat the oven to maximum. Heat a saucepan until medium hot and add a splash of olive oil. Pick the sage leaves and add to the pan with 6 of the pancetta or bacon strips.
- Peel and chop 2 garlic cloves and 1 onion. Trim and chop the celery and add to the pan with the garlic and onion. Fry everything gently until soft and golden brown. Take the pan off the heat, add the breadcrumbs and, while the mix is cooling down, roughly chop the apricots and stir them in.
- When the stuffing has cooled down, add the pork, lemon zest, nutmeg, egg and lots of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, and mix everything together well.
Slice the remaining strips of pancetta or bacon in half and peel and slice 1 peeled garlic clove into thin slivers. Place a rosemary sprig and a garlic sliver on one end of a halved strip of pancetta and roll it up tightly. Repeat with the other pieces of pancetta until you have 12 little rolls.
- Stab the thighs and drumsticks of the turkey in 6 places on each side. Push a little pancetta roll into each hole until it just peeps out. This will give your turkey thighs a fantastic flavour and will keep them moist while they cook.
- Peel the remaining onions and chop in half, and peel and thickly slice the carrots.
- Give your turkey a good wipe, inside and out, with kitchen paper, and place it on a board, with the neck end towards you. Find the edge of the skin that's covering the turkey's breasts and gently peel it back. Work your fingers and then your hand under the skin, freeing it from the meat. If you're careful you should be able to pull all the skin away from the meat, keeping it attached at the sides. Go slowly and try not to make any holes!
- Lift the loose skin at the neck end and spoon the stuffing between the skin and the breast, tucking the flap of skin underneath to stop anything leaking out. Pop the orange in the microwave for 30 seconds to warm it up and stuff it into the cavity.
- Weigh the stuffed turkey and calculate the cooking time (about 20 minutes per 500g/1lb 2oz).
- Place the bird on a large roasting tray, rub it all over with olive oil and season well. Surround with the chopped carrots, onions and remaining cloves of garlic, cover with tin foil and place in the preheated oven. Turn the heat down right away to 180°C/350°F/gas 4 and roast for the calculated time, or until the juices run clear from the thigh if you pierce it with a knife or a skewer. Remove the tin foil for the last 45 minutes to brown the bird.
- Carefully lift the turkey out of the tray and rest on a board covered loosely with foil for at least 1 hour, preferably 2 hours for bigger birds.
- When the resting time's nearly up, skim off the surface fat from the roasting tray and add the flour and stock. Place the tray on the hob and bring to the boil on a high heat. When the gravy starts to thicken, strain it into a bowl.
- Carve your turkey, serve with the gravy and dig in!
Posted by Aussie Meat and for this fabulous recipe, we thank Jamie Oliver for the recipe link is https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/turkey-recipes/the-best-roast-turkey-christmas-or-any-time/
Aussie Meat is thrilled to announce the Referrals & Rewards Program for all our Aussie Meat Lovers. You and your friends and family can enjoy the benefits by simply Refer a friend and receive HKD50 OFF on your next purchase, and your friend will receive HKD100 OFF on their first purchase. The great news is that you can KEEP referring and earning the rewards.