HOW TO PREPARE CHINESE STYLE BRAISED DUCK LEGS WITH CRISPY POTATOES!
FRENCH DUCK LEGS SKIN-ON (2 PIECES, 660G) | NEW
Preparation Time: 10 mins / Cook Time: 90 mins / Serving: 4
2 x FRENCH DUCK LEGS SKIN-ON (2 PIECES, 660G) | NEW
3 garlic cloves, sliced
3cm piece ginger, cut into matchsticks
2 star anise
1/2 cup (125ml) Chinese rice wine (shaohsing)
1 cup (250ml) Massel chicken style liquid stock
1/3 cup (80ml) red wine
1/3 cup (80ml) soy sauce
1/4 firmly packed cup (55g) brown sugar
1 tsp Chinese five spice powder
600g potatoes, peeled, chopped
Shredded spring onion, to serve
Thinly sliced long red chilli, to serve
Mint leaves, to serve
Coriander leaves, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Place duck, skin-side down, in a frypan over very low heat and cook for 15 minutes or until the fat has rendered. Turn and cook for a further 5 minutes or until browned all over.
2. Transfer duck to a small roasting pan and drain all but 1 tablespoon fat from frypan (reserve the drained fat to roast the potatoes). Return frypan to medium heat and cook garlic and ginger for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add star anise, rice wine, stock, red wine, soy sauce and sugar. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes. Pour over duck, then sprinkle with five spice. Cover with foil and roast for 45 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, to make the potatoes, bring potato to the boil in a saucepan of cold, salted water, then cook for 5 minutes or until par-boiled. Drain, then return potato to the pan and shake to roughen the edges. Heat 1/4 cup (60ml) reserved duck fat in a frypan over medium-high heat and fry potato, tossing, for 3-4 minutes until golden and crisp. Season and set aside.
4. Increase oven to 220°C. Transfer duck to a clean oven tray and roast for a further 10 minutes or until duck is cooked through and skin is golden. Strain braising liquid into a saucepan, skimming excess fat from surface. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes or until reduced and thickened.
5. Place duck on a platter, drizzle with sauce, garnish with spring onion, chilli and herbs, then serve with potato.