Preparation Time: 35 mins Cooking Time: 1 hr 30 mins Serving: 15
- 100g (1/2 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- 80ml (1/3 cup) maple syrup
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice
- 5 x 440g cans pineapple slices in juice, drained, juice reserved
- 7-8kg whole leg ham, on the bone
- 150g glace cherries
- 500ml (2 cups) water
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan forced. Place an oven shelf in the lowest position of the oven and remove the other shelves. Line a large roasting pan with non-stick baking paper.
- Place the brown sugar, maple syrup, Chinese five spice and 125ml (1/2 cup) of reserved pineapple juice in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until sugar dissolves. Bring to a gentle simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes until reduced slightly.
- Use a small sharp knife to cut around the shank of ham in a zig-zag pattern, about 10cm from end. Carefully run knife under rind around the edge of the ham. Carefully lift off the rind in one piece by running your fingers between the rind and the fat.
- Place a pineapple ring on ham. Place a glace cherry in the centre of pineapple. Use a toothpick to secure the cherry. Continue to place pineapple rings and cherries over ham, slightly overlapping to cover. You may need to secure some of the rings on the side of the ham with a toothpick.
- Pour water into prepared pan. Place the ham on a wire rack in the pan. Wrap exposed shank in foil. Brush a third of the glaze over pineapple. Bake for 40 minutes. Turn pan 180 degrees. Pour over half remaining glaze. Bake for 40 minutes until golden. Brush with remaining glaze. Set aside for 15 minutes to rest. Remove toothpicks before carving.
Posted by Aussie Meat and for this fabulous recipe, we thank Michelle Southan for the recipe link is https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/pineapple-maple-glazed-ham/7b41a061-063e-44c5-b594-fe0fd530b109