How to prepare Roast Beef in Onion Sauce (zwiebelrostbraten)?
Preparation Time: 20mins
Cooking Time: 2 hr. 40mins
5 kg beef chuck tender, sinew trimmed
4–5thyme sprigs, leaves picked
1rosemary sprig leaves picked
4garlic cloves, finely chopped
100 ml olive oil
300 g carrot, cut into 1 cm cubes
200 g celery, cut into 1 cm cubes
200 g celeriac, cut in 1cm cubes
300 g onion, cut into 1 cm cubes
200 ml red wine
3 litres brown beef stock
6red onions, sliced
Cooked pasta, steamed broccoli, to serve
1. Place beef in a dish. Scatter with half each of thyme, rosemary and garlic. Season with salt. Rub the marinade into the meat. Chill for up to 3 days.
2. Preheat oven to 130°C. Heat a little oil in a large heavy-based, flameproof baking pan over medium heat. Cook beef, turning, for 5–10 minutes, or until browned on all sides. Remove from pan.
3. Add a little more oil to the pan and add carrot, celery, celeriac and remaining garlic. Cook for 15–20 minutes, or until vegetables are soft and coloured.
4. Add onion. Cook for 10–15 minutes, until soft and coloured.
5. Add remaining thyme and rosemary, peppercorns and bay leave. Stir to combine.
6. Deglaze pan with half of red wine. Stir to dislodge caramelised bits from the base of the pan.
7. Add beef stock and stir to combine.
8. Return beef to pan, along with any juices and herbs from the dish. Transfer to oven. Roast for 2 hours, turning halfway through cooking time.
9. Meanwhile, heat a little more oil in a frying pan over medium-low heat. Add red onion and cook for 5–10 minutes, or until golden. Deglaze pan with remaining red wine.
10. Strain pan juices from roast beef and add to red onions. Stir to combine.
11. Thickly carve beef. Add to sauce in pan and spoon over to coat.
12. Serve with pasta and broccoli.
Posted by Aussie Meat and for this fabulous recipe, we thank SBS Food for the recipe link is https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/roast-beef-onion-sauce-zwiebelrostbraten