HOW TO PREPARE STEAK FRITES & BLACK GARLIC BUTTER?
Preparation Time: 20 mins / Cook Time: 40 mins / Serving: 4
2 x USDA PRIME THICK-CUT RIBEYE STEAKHOUSE STEAK (SCOTCH FILLET, 680G(24OZ), ~3CM THICKNESS)
1 head black garlic peeled
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon brandy
2 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided, plus more for sprinkling
2 pounds russet potatoes, spiralized into 1/4-inch-thick strands
1 tablespoon peanut or grapeseed oil, plus more for frying
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
Finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish (optional)
1. Place black garlic in a small bowl, & mash to a smooth paste. Add butter, brandy, & 1/4 teaspoon salt mix to paste. Spoon mixture onto a sheet of parchment paper or plastic wrap, and roll into a log. Refrigerate until ready to use.
2. Create your spiralized potatoes by chopping into thin 1/4" strips & place on a large microwavable plate or in a glass pie plate; cover with wet paper towels. Microwave on high until tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Spread in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet, and let cool 10 minutes.
3. Pour peanut oil to a depth of 1 1/2 inches in a large, deep pan; heat over medium to 375°F. (The hot oil will rise when potatoes are added.)
4. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon peanut oil in a 12-inch pan heat medium-high. Pat steaks dry; sprinkle with pepper & remaining 2 teaspoons salt. Add steaks to pan & cook, turning every 3 minutes to evenly brown all sides, to desired degree of doneness, about 12 minutes for medium-rare. Transfer steaks to a carving board, & let rest 10 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, fry potatoes in hot oil in 2 to 3 batches, stirring often with a spider or slotted spoon, until frites are golden & crisp, 4 to 6 minutes. (Adjust heat between batches as needed to maintain oil temperature of 375°F.) Transfer frites to a paper–lined plate. Sprinkle with salt.
6. Cut steaks against the grain into slices; divide among 4 plates. Cut black garlic butter into 1/2-inch-thick rounds. Top steak with black garlic butter, &, if desired, parsley. Serve immediately with frites.