How to prepare Vietnamese Meatball?
Buy Product(s): UK PREMIUM DUROC PORK MINCE AND HORMONE FREE (300G)
Preparation Time: 30 mins
Cooking Time: 30 mins
- 200 g jicama peeled and julienned
- 500 g minced pork (1.1 lb)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced shallot or white-part spring onion
- salt, pepper, chicken stock, sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp tapioca/corn starch
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 3 medium tomatoes (400g) diced
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- Cook the julienned jicama with 2 cups water for 5 minutes. Drain, squeeze out the excess water and chop finely.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the minced pork, jicama, egg and tapioca/corn starch. Season with salt, pepper, chicken stock, sugar (about 1/2 tsp each). Set aside for 15 minutes. Scoop 1 tbsp of the meat mixture and form into a meatball. Repeat until finish. You will get about 15 meatballs. Steam the meatballs for about 10 minutes. (This step is optional)
- In a saucepan or a wok, heat 1 tbsp cooking oil and fry the minced garlic and shallot until fragrant. Then add the diced tomatoes, sugar, chicken stock, fish sauce and ketchup. Simmer on low for 10 minutes. You can add 1/2 cup water if you want more sauce.
- Remove the meatballs from the steamer and transfer to combine with the tomato sauce. Simmer for 5 more minutes and transfer to a plate to serve.
- Garnish with cilantro, thinly sliced onion, crispy fried shallot and serve with a baguette. To make meatball sandwich, slice the baguette halfway to open, spread chili sauce, put a meatball inside and use a spoon to break it into chunks. Add more cilantro, spring onion, sliced pepperoni/jalapeno to your preference.
Posted by Aussie Meat and for this fabulous recipe, we thank Helen Le for the recipe link is https://danangcuisine.com/banh-mi/banh-mi-xiu-mai-vietnamese-meatball-sandwich-recipe/?fbclid=IwAR0YW2Sj0eRo7QFe_z6SKe9-Ddj1bS1Y3_uYkGMiig-E8QtmVFqm-evxWLs