Preparation Time: 10 mins Cooking Time: 10 mins Serving: 4
- 4 Beef Burger Patties
- 4 Burger buns (4 in. wide), split
- About 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- About 1/4 cup ketchup
- 4 iceberg lettuce leaves, rinsed and crisped
- 2 firm-ripe tomato, thinly sliced
- 4 thin slices red onion
- 4 slices of cheese
- Lay burgers on an oiled barbecue grill over a solid bed of hot coals or high heat on a gas grill (you can hold your hand at grill level only 2 to 3 seconds); close lid on gas grill. Cook burgers, turning once, until browned on both sides and no longer pink inside (cut to test), 7 to 8 minutes total. Remove from grill.
- Lay buns, cut side down, on grill and cook until lightly toasted, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Spread mayonnaise and ketchup on bun bottoms. Add cheese slice, lettuce, tomato, burger, onion, and salt and pepper to taste. Set bun tops in place.
Try these fun alternative toppings:
Whether cooked on a grill or a barbecue, burgers are best with a slight smoky char that adds to the flavour and creates that deliciously crispy exterior. You can ramp this up further with a selection of smoky toppings such as the paprika mayo and charred red peppers on these Spanish-inspired burgers.
If you like it hot, you can simply add sliced Jalapeno chillies to the topping to give it depth and heat. For a spicy burger replace the normal slice of tomato with a fresh salsa, flavoured with zingy red chilli and fragrant coriander.
Different textures are key to a good burger, so a fresh, crisp slaw is the perfect topping for adding a satisfying crunch – and you can serve any extra on the side. Asian flavours also work well with the crunchy veg in slaws: try with cashew nuts and soy sauce or with zesty lime and ginger on top to give it a zing.
Love 'em or hate 'em, gherkins are a burger's best friend. They add a sweet-sour-salty combination that cuts through the richness of the burger. For something a little fresher, try making your own cucumber pickle or pickled red onions.
Have it all
Can't decide or just love it all? Well there's no reason not to have it all – burgers are perfect for customisation so just pile up your favourite toppings at home.