HORMONE FREE PORK BELLY RIND-ON ROASTS or HORMONE FREE PORK BELLY RIND-ON ROASTS (2KG)
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 3 hrs
Serving: 6 - 8
- 6garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 40 g(1½ oz/⅓ cup) salt
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 100 g(3½ oz) dried oregano
- 50 g(1¾ oz/½ cup) ground cumin
- 50 g(1¾ oz) merquen (see Note)
- 150 ml(5 fl oz) white wine vinegar
- 2 kg(4 lb 6 oz) pork belly, excess fat trimmed, ribs still attached and split down the middle (but not all the way through)
Marinating time overnight
- Place the garlic and salt in a mortar and pestle and crush until coarse.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the garlic and salt with the paprika, oregano, cumin and merquen. Slowly add the vinegar and set the marinade aside.
- With a sharp knife, carefully take off the skin and excess fat from the pork belly. You can ask your butcher to do this for you. Score the fat side of the belly and in between the ribs, and place in a large baking tray. Pour the marinade over the belly and rub in well all over.
- Leave in the tray, cover and refrigerate overnight (or up to 2–3 days if you can).
- Ensure you bring the meat to room temperature before cooking. Remove the pork belly from the marinade, reserving the juices for basting.
- Cook over coals over low heat – around 150–200°C (300–400°F) – for 2½–3 hours, starting bone-side down, turning every hour or so to ensure even cooking. Baste regularly with reserved marinade. After about 2 hours, split the ribs down the centre and continue to cook until ready – about 30 minutes to an hour. You want the pork to be golden.
- Carve into the ribs and serve with pebre. Enjoy with a glass or bottle of red!
Posted by Aussie Meat and for this fabulous recipe, we thank Food Safari Fire for the link https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/marinated-pork-belly-asado
Aussie Meat is thrilled to announce the Referrals & Rewards Program for all our Aussie Meat Lovers. You and your friends and family can enjoy the benefits by simply Refer a friend and receive HKD50 OFF on your next purchase, and your friend will receive HKD100 OFF on their first purchase. The great news is that you can KEEP referring and earning the rewards.
Aussie Meat is The Australian Meat Brand. We deliver Premium Quality Meat, Ocean-catch Seafood, Wine and BBQ Grills across Hong Kong, 5 days per week. Owned and operated by Australians, we deliver finest quality meat which is grass fed, organic, naturally farmed, hormone and antibiotic free meat and ocean-catch seafood from Australian, New Zealand and global farmers jet fresh to your home or office. We understand the value in giving back, our Eat For Charity Program #eat4charityhk donates 5% of our profits towards HK charities.