How to prepare Raan Leg Of Lamb?
Preparation Time: 10mins
Cooking Time: 2 hr. 10mins
- 1.5 kg lamb leg, on the bone
- 45 ml of vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 450 ml plain yoghurt
- 3 tsp gram masala
- 1 tsp finely grated ginger
- ¼ tsp medium-hot chilli powder
- 5–6saffron strands
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- 450 ml veal, beef or chicken stock
1. Using a sharp knife, make 10–12 deep slits into the meat.
2. Mix all remaining ingredients, except stock, together to make a marinade, and smear it thickly all over the lamb using a basting knife. Make sure that some of the marinades soak into the slits in the meat, to ensure it cooks well.
3. Place on a plate and cover, then marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
4. Preheat oven to 180°C.
5. Put the lamb in a roasting pan and cover loosely with foil, ensuring it doesn't touch lamb. Cook for 2 hours, or until meat is tender, basting lamb about halfway through cooking time with juices from pan and stock. This step prevents lamb from drying on inside.
6. Remove foil and cook for another 8–10 minutes.
7. Take the meat out of the oven, cover loosely with foil and rest in a warm place for about 15 minutes. At this point, the meat should be almost falling off the bone. (An optional final step is to gently place the lamb on an outdoor grill or barbecue so exterior turns nice and brown.) Serve.
Posted by Aussie Meat and for this fabulous recipe, we thank SBS Food for the recipe link is https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/raan-leg-lamb