How to prepare Slow Cooker Carnitas?
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 8 hrs 10 mins
- 4 lb boneless pork butt(1.8 kg), or shoulder, cut into six equal pieces
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 8 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 3 leaves bay leaf
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 large orange, juiced, save the spent halves
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS
- tortilla, taco shell
- 1 can black beans
- sour cream
- fresh cilantro
- 1 cup cheese(100 g)
- Cut pork into 6 equal pieces. Add it to the slow cooker.
- Add salt, pepper, oregano, cumin, garlic, onion, bay leaves, lime juice and juice the orange. Add orange to the cooker as well. Mix together until the meat is well-coated.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours, or until the meat pulls apart easily.
- Remove the pork and transfer to a foil-lined baking sheet. Shred the pork and spread across the baking sheet in a single layer.
- Pour about 1 cup (235 ml) of the liquid remaining in the slow cooker over the shredded pork. Broil for 5-10 minutes until the meat browns and crisps along the edges.
- Serve immediately. Great as a filling in tacos, burritos, salads, or nachos!